About Global Leadership Academy
The Global Leadership Academy (GLA) is a specialized K-5 school of choice within the Terrell Independent School District that provides an alternative educational experience that is unique from a traditional campus. Students enrolled at GLA will have the opportunity to engage in hands-on, self-directed learning that is centered around a project-based learning curriculum.
GLA, which is the first of many small and specialized schools of choice to open within TISD in the coming years, is built on the foundation of the following Six Pillars of Excellence:
PILLARS OF GLOBAL LEADERSHIP ACADEMY FOR LEARNING
1. Leadership Development - Students will develop the skills needed to lead and own their own learning in an increasingly complex world. GLA students will learn to make a positive difference in themselves and others through:
Peer leadership & mediation
Individualized & collaborative presentation opportunities
Rigorous project-based learning
Built-in daily time for clubs & leadership organizations
2. College Preparatory - Students will experience a rigorous learning environment, both in pace and content. College visits and career exploration opportunities will also help students continue their education with a focus on their future career and learning.
3. Personalized Learning - Students will utilize a blended learning platform that will empower them to make smart choices about their own academic growth and development. Weekly scheduled one-on-one mentor time will allow teachers to guide students through the process of owning their own learning and becoming life-long learners.
4. Technology Integration - The ubiquitous use of technology at every stage of the learning continuum will help prepare students for life in the 21st century workforce and guarantee that they will have the most relevant and rigorous resources available to them at all times.
5. Parents as Partners - Parents and GLA staff will work hand-in-hand to ensure that learning opportunities are maximized, both in and out of school. Parents will work as partners with the staff to hold students accountable for their growth and development.
6. Experiential Learning - Students will develop their knowledge and skills through project-based learning, physical and digital field trips, service learning, clubs, and performance opportunities.