Teacher Incentive Allotment
The Texas Education Agency’s Teacher Incentive Allotment (TIA) program is dedicated to recruiting, supporting and retaining highly effective teachers in all schools, with particular emphasis on high-needs and rural schools. Our implementation will begin during the 2021-22 school year. This program provides a pathway to financially recognize top teachers and serves as a great opportunity to honor the hard work and proven success of our Terrell ISD teaching staff.
This is not a merit-pay approach to compensation and it will not replace the district’s current pay structure. For those who earn a distinction based on both teacher observation and student growth data, it will be an additional state stipend completely separate from the current Terrell ISD pay structure.
If you have any questions or comments about this program please contact Director of Human Resources, Dr. Juan Solis at firstname.lastname@example.org.
**Campus allotment amounts are set annually by TEA. Current amounts shown reflect data capture 2020-2021 school year.
LEARN MORE ABOUT TIA
What is TIA?
HB 3 established the Teacher Incentive Allotment (TIA) to recognize effective teachers on three different levels, recognized, exemplary, and master. These teacher designations generate additional teacher-focused allotment funding for districts in order for them to reward their top performers.
Teachers earn designations through two different routes. First, National Board Certified teachers are eligible to earn a Recognized designation. Second, districts may designate their effective teachers when they are approved for a local teacher designation system. The approval process is multi-step and includes the submission of a system application to the Texas Education Agency (TEA) and then a data validation process through Texas Tech University. Click here to learn more about What is TIA?
The funding available from the Teacher Incentive Allotment varies by designation. The exact amount of funding per teacher is determined by a formula that takes into account the level of socioeconomic need at a campus and whether the campus is rural.
TIA funding goes to the campus where the teacher works and not directly to the teacher. However, districts must spend at least 90 percent of their allotment funds on teacher compensation on the campuses where the designated teacher works. Districts can set aside the remaining 10 percent for costs associated with implementing TIA. Teacher designations each have a base allotment and a multiplier rate. Click here to learn more about Funding Allotment.
National Board Certification
Automatic Recognized Designation
Beginning in April 2021, eligible National Board Certified Teachers (NBCTs) will earn a Recognized designation on their Texas educator certificate for the 2020-2021 school year. The designation will expire the July following expiration of the teacher’s National Board Certification. To be eligible for the Recognized Teacher Incentive Allotment designation, NBCTs must have a one-year or standard Texas teaching certificate and be employed as a teacher (coded as 087 Role ID in PEIMS/TSDS). Teachers with a Recognized designation must be employed as a Texas teacher (087 role ID in PEIMS) and complete a creditable year of service in order to generate funding for that year. The Recognized designation generates anywhere from $3,000 to $9,000 for the NBCT’s district. The total amount depends on the socioeconomic status of the students and the campus’ rural status.
Designation and Funding Timeline
Districts employing National Board Certified Teachers (NBCTs) and National Board candidates.
Fee Reimbursement through TIA
The Teacher Incentive Allotment will reimburse districts up to $1,900 for initial certification, up to $1,250 for renewal, and up to $495 for MOC. Districts may reimburse teachers who paid out of pocket prior to submitting request through TIA. Fees paid toward certification and renewal are eligible if the certification or renewal was achieved following the passage of House Bill 3 in summer 2019. Click here to read more about Fee Reimbursements.
TISD TEACHER AMBASSADORS